A Guide To Effective Forefoot Salvage Procedures
- Volume 16 - Issue 4 - April 2003
- 10586 reads
- 0 comments
Dr. Feit (on the right) is a Fellow of the American College of Foot And Ankle Surgeons and practices privately in San Pedro and Torrance, Calif. He is Past President of the Los Angeles chapter of the American Diabetes Association.
Dr. Peters is a surgical resident at the San Pedro Peninsula Hospital in San Pedro, Calif.
Dr. Steinberg (pictured) is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Orthopaedics/Podiatry Service at the University of Texas Health Science Center.
1. Reiber GE, Boyko EJ, Smith DG: “Lower Extremity Foot Ulcers and Amputation in Diabetes,” Diabetes in America, 2nd Ed, p409, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Disease, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD, 1995.
2. Boulton AJM, Hardisty CA, Betts RO, et al: Dynamic foot pressure and other studies as diagnostic and management aids in diabetic neuropathy. Diabetes Care 6:26m 1983.
3. Murray HJ, Yound MJ, Hollis S, et al: The association between callus formation, high pressures and neuropathy in diabetic foot ulceration. Diabet Med 13: 979, 1996.
4. Reiber GE, Vileik L, Boyko EJ, et al: Causal pathways for incident lower-extremity ulcers in patients with diabetes from two settings. Diabetes Care 22: 157, 1999.
5. Most RS, Sinnock P: The epidemiology of lower extremity amputations in diabetic individuals. Diabetes Care 1983; 6: 87-91.
6. Edmonds ME, Blundell MP, Morris ME, et al.: Improved survival of the diabetic foot: the role of a specialized foot clinic. Q J Med 60: 763-771, 1986.
7. Tesfaye S, Ward JD. Clinical features of diabetic polyneuoropathy. In: Veves A, ed. Clinical management of diabetic neuropathy. Totowa, NJ: Humana Press, 1998: 49-60.
8. Sage RA, Webster JK, Fisher SG: Outpatient Care and Morbidity Reduction in Diabetic Foot Ulcers Associated with Chronic Pressure Callus. JAPMA 91: 6, 2001
9. Young MJ, Cavanagh PR, Thomas G, et al: The effect of callus removal on dynamic plantar foot pressures in diabetic patients. Diabet Med 9: 55, 1992.
10. Giurini JM, Basile P, Chrzan JS, et al. Panmetatarsal head resection: a viable alternative to the transmetatarsal amputation. JAPMA 83, 1993.